(Brunswick, GA) — Two men charged in the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery are being held without bond on murder charges.
Gregory and Travis McMichael are accused of killing Arbery in February as the alleged incident was caught on video.
They made their first appearance in a Georgia courtroom yesterday. Travis is being charged with felony murder and aggravated assault while Gregory is being charged with party to both
In a press conference today, GBI Director Vic Reynolds announced that 64-year-old Gregory McMichael and 34-year-old Travis McMichael were taken into custody and were booked in the Glynn County Jail.
Arbery was shot and killed by the two armed men while jogging through a south Georgia neighborhood. The McMichaels had remained free in the months following the February 23rd shooting, as the case shuffled from one District Attorney’s office to another.
But calls for their arrests grew to a crescendo after video surfaced, showing the apparent shooting. Director Reynolds said that once the case was handed over to the GBI, they hit the ground running on Wednesday and within 36 hours they had secured arrest warrants for the McMichaels. No bond has been issued, according to a county official.
(AP) – Russia is sending a plane with medical supplies such as masks to help the U.S. fight the coronavirus pandemic. The plane will arrive today after President Trump accepted an offer earlier this week from Russian President Vladimir Putin to send personal protective equipment and other gear.
The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs tweeted a photo of its largest cargo aircraft filled with boxes of masks and equipment to “help save the lives of American citizens.”
Trump Administration officials say the U.S. will immediately put items to use that are approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
(SL) – Nick Cannon vowed to pick up the baton and continue the work that rapper Nipsey Hussle started and a year after his death, it looks to be complete.
Nipsey, real name Ermias Asghedom, was working on a documentary about natural healer Dr. Sebi when he was murdered and exactly one day from the one year anniversary of his death, it looks to be complete.
Conspiracy theories about who killed Nipsey started to spread shortly after his death. The police, the US government and pharmaceutical companies have all been accused of having something to do with the homicide. But, 29-year old, Eric Holder is set to stand trial this month for the crime. He maintains his innocence but faces a maximum of life in prison if found guilty.
Alfredo Bowman, better known as Dr. Sebi, was a self-proclaimed healer and herbalist. He was a self-educated who reportedly healed several people of AIDS, leukemia and among other illnesses. And his controversial health claims landed him inside New York’s Supreme Court after he was accused of illegally practicing medicine. Dr. Sebi, however won the case by producing over 70 cured patients with a wide variety of aliments that testified that his methods not only worked, but cured them completely.
(Washington, DC) – Lawmakers are pressing CDC Director Robert Redfield about the growing coronavirus threat.
During a House hearing, Connecticut Democrat Rosa DeLauro stressed that it is a real and growing crisis. She argued that the U.S. is behind the curve on the availability and distribution of coronavirus test kits. Redfield said health officials are working hard to push accurate tests out as quickly as possible. He cited a government “regulatory process” that had to be navigated.
Oklahoma Republican Tom Cole said a “deadly new disease is just a plane ride away.” He noted that there is a long road ahead with many unknowns.
New York Democrat Nita Lowey called the coronavirus crisis an emergency and criticized the Trump administration’s response.
Meantime, California Democrat Barbara Lee noted that store shelves have been stripped of hand sanitizer and said many people need it if they can’t get to a source of hot water and soap. Redfield said he could not address shortages in the consumer supply chain but he vowed to look into it.
The number of deaths in the United States from the coronavirus is topping 100. West Virginia reported its first case of the virus making the total number of cases in the U.S. is just over 58-hundred. A large majority are being reported in New York and Washington state. Cases have now been confirmed in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
Illinois reported its first death today as a result of the virus, joining 18 total states. Nearly 85-percent of those who have died were older than 60 and about 45-percent were older than 80. Of the first 100 reported fatalities, many people appear to have had underlying health conditions including diabetes and kidney disease.
(London, England) — Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan made their final appearance as senior royals Monday for the annual Commonwealth Day service.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex joined Queen Elizabeth and other British royal family members at Westminster Abbey.
The televised ceremony was expected to be Harry and Meghan’s last royal turn with the rest of the Windsors before they jet off to North America to start a new chapter in their life.
(Washington, DC-AP) — The director of the CDC says the number of coronavirus cases continues to grow. Doctor Robert Redfield told reporters the number has gone over 600 cases, but the increase was expected as time goes on.
Cases have been reported in at least 35 states and the District of Columbia. Redfield says they are keeping an eye on several community outbreaks.
He argued that despite the increase in cases, the risk of the illness to Americans remains low.
Five members of Congress are now isolated after being exposed to someone with coronavirus. And two of them spent time with President Trump.
Matt Gaetz of Florida was on Air Force One today and Doug Collins of Georgia shook Trump’s hand Friday. Both men decided to stay home out of caution.
Same goes for California Congresswoman Julia Brownley who also closed her DC office for the week. This comes after Texas Senator Ted Cruz and Arizona Congressman Paul Gosar went into self-quarantine yesterday.
(New York, NY-AP) — The world’s five richest people are paying a pretty penny for the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
They lost nearly 37-billion dollars combined in this week’s stock market tumble. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos was hit the hardest, dropping his fortune to 116-billion.
Microsoft’s Bill Gates was second. He called the deadly disease a “once-in-a-century pathogen we’ve been worried about.”
(Washington, DC-AP) – CDC officials say a coronavirus outbreak in the U.S. appears inevitable. After closed briefings with lawmakers on Capitol Hill today, Dr. Nancy Messonnier spoke with news reporters and said it’s not a matter of if but when.
The U.S. has 53 confirmed cases, including 36 people evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship off Japan.
Meanwhile, Health Secretary Alex Azar is facing more heat over the growing coronavirus threat. During a House hearing, Azar defended the Trump administration’s request for two-point-five-billion-dollars in emergency funding to prepare for the coronavirus.
Democrats have called it too little, too late. New York Democrat Nita Lowey criticized the Trump administration for budget cuts in U.S. global health programs, including at the CDC. She called it disastrous.
Azar said the emergency funding request is flexible and stressed that more money could be requested later, if necessary. Meantime, Oklahoma Republican Tom Cole said the threat of a global pandemic is more serious than a major terrorist attack.
(AP) — The Japanese billionaire who’s paying to be the first private citizen to fly around the moon wants company and the deadline to apply is this Friday. Yusaku Maezawa has set up a website to help find a woman with a desire for world peace to be his life partner.
The 44-year-old online fashion empire founder says applicants must also be single women who are over the age of 20, interested in going into space and preparing for it.
Maezawa’s looking for someone with “a bright personality” who “wants to enjoy life to the fullest.”
(Ponce, PR-AP) – More than two-thirds of Puerto Rico residents are still without power as the island continues to rebound from a series of earthquakes.
Puerto Rico’s Electric Power Authority said it had restored service to only a third of its one-point-five-million customers. Also, a quarter million people do not have running water because of no power at those plants.
The Trump Administration approved a federal disaster declaration request, which provides some money to deal with debris removal and help for families that lost their homes.