(SL) – I’m sure at this point NBA star Derrick Rose is wishing he’d pass on a night out that involved an old girlfriend and two friends. A night of risky sex that resulted in rape accusations and a now $21 million lawsuit has put a blemish on the respected reputation of the former Chicago Bulls baller, but before making his debut with the New York Knicks in Houston, Rose said he’s welcoming the chance to clear his name.
“I wanted to take it to court because I didn’t want to settle,’ Rose said on Tuesday, which was also his 28th birthday. ‘I don’t feel like I did anything wrong. If I go up there and just tell my side of the story, I think I’ll be alright.”Rose planned to leave after the game to attend the trial in Los Angeles, where jury selection began earlier on Tuesday, though no jurors have been seated. He’s expected to be in court by Thursday along with his two co-defendants. The three are unhappy with potential jurors as only two of the 50 prospective jurors were African Americans. All three defendants are black. Rose’s lawyer noted that 15 of the first 27 possible jurors were Hispanic, the ethnicity of the woman.
The woman, whose identity will be revealed when the trial starts, initiated the lawsuit after claims that Rose and two friends entered her apartment and had sex with her without her consent after she passed out following a night of drinking.