(Sacramento, CA-AP) – Police in Sacramento, California are under investigation after they arrested a 12-year-old African American boy one year after an officer shot and killed an unarmed black man in the city. Police are reviewing what officers did when they arrested the boy late last month.
The local Black Lives Matter chapter says video posted on Facebook shows several police officers and a private security guard forcing the handcuffed boy to the ground. The security guard told police the boy trespassed and asked people in a nearby Walgreens to buy things for him.
The arrest happened about a month after activists marked the shooting of 22-year-old Stephon Clark. They demonstrated because the officer who killed Clark won’t be charged.
(Sacramento, CA-AP) – Community leaders are demanding justice after a pair of Sacramento police officers were not charged in the shooting death of an unarmed black man.
Various faith leaders and the NAACP spoke out against the DA’s decision to not hold the officers accountable for 22-year-old Stephon Clark’s death last March on Saturday. The leaders said Saturday’s decision is a testament to a justice system that doesn’t protect the black community, but rather persecutes it.
Sacramento NAACP President Betty Williams slammed the DA for defaming Stephon Clark post-mortem in an effort to justify the actions of the two police officers who shot Clark eight times in his grandmother’s backyard. The DA suggested Saturday that Clark being under the influence of drugs and alcohol and also the fact that he had relationship issues were factors that had to be considered in her decision to not charge the officers.
The leaders stressed that the fight for justice isn’t over and they plan to lobby city officials until the two officers who killed Clark are removed from the police force.
(Washington, DC) – The White House is dodging questions about the police shooting of an unarmed black man in Sacramento. Stephon Clark was shot to death in his grandmother’s backyard earlier this month when police thought his cellphone was a gun.
In a daily briefing Wednesday, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders was asked about the case and said it was a terrible incident, but it should be left up to local authorities to deal with, and is not something for the federal government to weigh into.