(Christchurch – AP) — The death toll from the New Zealand mosque attacks is up to 49. Police Commissioner Mike Bush says the vast majority of the victims were killed at one mosque in Christchurch. One man has already been charged with murder in connection with the shootings. At least 48 other people were injured in the attacks, which happened during Friday prayers. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has called the shootings a terror attack. It’s the biggest massacre in New Zealand in 30 years.
Just before the shootings, one of the alleged attackers posted a link to a manifesto that was filled with anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim ideas. One of the attacks appears to have been live streamed on social media.
(SL) – The death toll from the terror attack at an Egyptian mosque is up to 305. Egypt’s chief prosecutor says among the dead are 27 children, and another 128 worshipers are wounded.
Friday’s assault in northern Sinai is the deadliest terror attack in Egypt’s history. The statement said it was carried out by 25 or 30 terrorists in five all-terrain vehicles.
Survivors say the attackers positioned themselves at the main door of the mosque and at all its windows, and set fire to cars parked outside.
No group has claimed responsibility so far, but Egyptian officials say the gunmen carried an ISIS flag.Donald Trump condemned the attack, calling it a “horrible and cowardly terrorist attack on innocent and defenseless worshipers.” Trump called Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and reaffirmed U.S. solidarity with Egypt in its fight against terror.