(Washington, DC-AP) – Democrats are angry that congressional leaders were not briefed before the U.S. airstrike that killed a top Iranian military leader in Iraq.
Lawmakers are expected to get a classified briefing on the incident this week. The briefing will likely be conducted by CIA Director Gina Haspel, Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
Meantime, House Democrats are planning a vote this week on a war powers resolution aimed at limiting President Trump’s military actions on Iran. The House resolution would have little chance of passage in the Republican-led Senate.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the airstrike endangered U.S. service-members and diplomats by “risking a serious escalation of tensions with Iran.” The House resolution would have little chance of passage in the Republican-led Senate.
(Washington, DC-AP) – President Trump is defending his decision to cancel retaliatory airstrikes against Iran. During an interview for NBC’s Meet the Press, Trump said a plan was “ready to go, subject to my approval.”
He noted that he called it off with ten minutes to spare after learning the strike would cause about 150 Iranian deaths. Trump said he didn’t think it was proportionate to Iran’s downing of an unmanned U.S. military drone over the Strait of Hormuz this week.
The entire interview airs Sunday morning.
(Tehran-AP) — Iran is denying involvement in attacks on tankers in the Gulf of Oman. President Trump today said he fully believes Iran is responsible.
Video released by the U.S. military looks to show an Iranian navy boat removing an unexploded mine from a Japanese-owned tanker. A spokesman for Iran’s foreign ministry is reportedly calling U.S. allegations ridiculous and dangerous.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said this week that Iran is ratcheting-up tensions in the volatile Middle East. He accused Iran of posing a clear threat to international peace and security.
(Washington, DC) — The Pentagon is reportedly planning to send 15-hundred additional troops to the Middle East. The move is seen as a response to growing tensions with Iran.
The U.S. has long-accused Iran of being a leading state sponsor of terrorism and of causing trouble in the volatile Middle East.
President Trump pulled the U.S. out of the multi-nation Iran nuclear accord last year.
(AP) – Iran says it will no longer fully comply with the nuclear deal it signed with the U.S. and five other nations. Today’s announcement comes one year after President Trump pulled the U.S. out of the agreement.
Iran’s Supreme National Security Council said in a statement the Islamic Republic will no longer abide by limits on keeping enriched uranium and heavy water reserves.
Iran says the other nations that signed the 2015 agreement – Britain, Germany, China, Russia, and France – now have 60 days to ease restrictions on its banking and oil industries. The Trump administration is currently working to block all of Iran’s oil exports.
A Kremlin spokesman told reporters today that Iran was provoked by the U.S., and said Washington’s decision to pull out of the deal last year was “unthought-out.” The spokesman said Russia wants to keep the nuclear deal alive and that its diplomats were doing all they could behind the scenes to try and save it.
(Washington, DC-AP) — The U.S. is showing off its military might in a warning towards Iran. National Security Advisor John Bolton said in a statement that the U.S. is deploying a carrier strike group and bombers to the Middle East.
He says the presence of the U.S. military will send a message to the Iranian government that any attack on U.S. interests or allies “will be met with unrelenting force.” He said that while the U.S. doesn’t seek war with Iran, it’s fully prepared to respond to any attack by Iran or its proxies.
The move comes after a series of rocket strikes against Israel by forces in the Gaza Strip that are allied with Iran.
(Washington, DC) – Donald Trump is warning Iran’s president about threatening the U.S. In an all-caps tweet addressed to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani , Trump cautioned him to never threaten the United States or, quote, “YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE.”
He added that the U.S. will no longer stand for what he called Rouhani’s “DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH.” Trump’s tweet seems to be a response to a warning from Rouhani about risking war with Iran if he pursues hostile policies toward the country.
(Tehran) – Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says his country will remain in the 2015 nuclear deal if it can protect its interests. The deal, originally made between the U.S., Iran and five other world powers, offered sanctions relief in exchange for checks on Iran’s nuclear program.
President Trump pulled out of the deal this month, after months of calling it broken.
Rouhani said that Tehran will stay in if the remaining five nations, China, France, Germany, Russia and the U.K., stick to the agreement.
(Washington, DC) — The President will reveal his decision on the Iran nuclear deal this afternoon. On Twitter, President Trump said he will be announcing his decision from the White House at 2 pm. Trump has been harshly critical of the Iran deal and may pull the U.S. out of the multi-nation accord.
European allies have been trying to convince him to stay in the deal. In an earlier tweet, Trump accused former Secretary of State John Kerry of meddling. Kerry has reportedly been working behind the scenes to salvage the nuclear accord.
Trump said the U.S. “does not need John Kerry’s possibly illegal shadow diplomacy.” Trump argued that the deal was “very badly negotiated” by Kerry. He also called it a big mess.
The agreement signed in 2015 between Iran and six world powers lifts sanctions that crippled Iran’s economy in return for tight limits on the Islamic Republic’s nuclear energy program. Those limits include reducing Iran’s uranium enrichment ability to produce only fuel for nuclear power plants and getting rid of a plant that could turn out weapons-grade plutonium.
The agreement also requires Iran to allow inspectors to monitor its nuclear sites. If Iran violates any of the requirements, economic sanctions would “snap back” into place for ten years.
(SL) – A U.S. Appeals Court says President Trump “exceeded the scope of his delegated authority” with his latest version of the hotly contested travel ban. In a unanimous decision yesterday, a three-judge panel from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals said its ruling would be put on hold pending by the U.S. Supreme Court.
That means the ban targeting people from six majority Muslim countries will remain in effect after the Supreme Court lifted temporary lower court orders preventing the latest ban from taking effect earlier this month.
The ruling says Trump’s proclamation makes no finding that simply being from one of the countries cited in the ban makes someone a security risk. The panel also said the ban should not apply to people with strong U.S. ties.
Trump issued his first travel ban in January, targeting people from Chad, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen seeking to enter the country. After the first ban was blocked by federal courts, the Trump Administration issued a revised one in March, which expired in September and was replaced by the current version.